Saturday, May 28, 2011

hair did 101

around a month ago, i trimmed my hair quite significantly. it was in such horrible shape that i chopped off 3 inches. i'm not gonna lie, it could have afforded another 2 inches off since it was in such bad condition, but i didn't want to leave the salon with a bob hairstyle. not that anything is wrong with hair bobs. i'm just afraid i'll look really young. one day maybe i'll go back to the bob. i don't mind these ones:

(via)
(via)
(via)
(via)

so in my desperate state, i walked into a hair salon and asked if anyone was available. with my luck, yes - there was someone available in 5 minutes, but boo - he's a senior stylist. the first thing that ran through my head was "CHI-CHING! oh boy, this trim is gonna cost me an arm and a leg!"

just so you know, I'M A CHEAPIE! especially when it comes to getting my hair did. i really don't care about it. i'll let anyone cut my hair as long as it looks normal in the end. i don't know. i guess i'd rather spend my money on food and alcohol. hahaha.

with that being said, it's a big deal i saw a senior stylist even though my first instinct was to back out. but boy i'm glad i didn't! not only did he give me one of my best haircuts ever, he also gave me random helpful hair tips. HA, guess those senior hairstylists really do know their stuff! LOL!

so here are the hair lessons i learned on that night. you may already know these tips, but remember, i'm dense when it comes to hair!
  1. do not wash your hair everyday as it will dry out your hair. 
  2. remember, since you are not washing your hair everyday, DO NOT touch or play with it too much or it may start to look oily.
  3. when washing your hair, skip your roots when applying conditioner. the roots of your hair are naturally conditioned.
  4. don't tie your hair back tightly as this causes baby hair. (Leeshi, that's why we can never get rid of it!)
  5. too many layers for my type of hair is not good. when drying naturally, it will dry bigger and unshapely. 
in the end, it was definitely worth seeing Sam and now he's found a regular client in me. WINNING for both of us! booyah!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wash my hair every day because i can't stand feeling "dirty" going to work without washing it, but i learned not to shampoo everyday but i condition. i'm gonna remember to skip the roots when i condition next time. i have lots of baby hair, too! i think it's an asian thing, for sure! lol i've done a short bob before, like the last photo and like it. i've always found out that the shorter my hair, the more product i use! hmmpffff!!! glad you found a hair person! wootwoot!

Anonymous said...

pictures please!

i'm the queen of baby hair; can't get rid of them and no matter how much product i apply, they always stick out so it must be an asian thing.

i wash my hair every other day; i found that when i washed it every day, it dried out my scalp and i ended up with dandruff yuck! then i had to temporarily switch to a dandruff shampoo until that cleared up.

finding a great stylist is a hit/miss; once you find one, you're devoted! :)

Maureen said...

Reni: try the dry shampoo I was talking about! Hope you find it!

Kat: Nah no pics needed! It looks the same just noticeably shorter. And apparently it also makes me look even younger. Lol.

Ladies: Apparently if you tie your hair back too tightly, it splits your baby hair into more baby hair.

Have a great Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Photo! Photo! Photo!

Kasey Lynne said...

Girl...how can you do a post on your new 'do and NOT share a picture???????? COME ON NOW!! :)

Leesh said...

I love Rihanna's, Gwyneth's and Nicole's hair.

I use to wash my hair every 3rd or 4th day but when I work out, I have to wash it. Sometimes I just wet my hair and dab a bit of conditioner on the ends. I bought this conditioner from Bumble & Bumble and after a couple of uses, my hair is silky soft. I believe it's called Quench.

I am Queen of tying my hair back so from now on, I will try to just leave my hair down.

I stopped getting layers when I cut bangs. It's so much easier for me but I do look kinda drab, with stick straight hair.